Monday, December 19, 2011

back to reality

As always when I think of what I want to write, a song is plying in my head. So before I begin, here it is:


I have been struggling with my additction to facebook for a while now. Yes, I am calling it an addiction. I mean what else would it be? I feel that I constantly have to check what everyone is up to, lest I miss anything important or life changing!  Whenever my kids do something cute, or I have clever thought, the first thing I want to do is post it on facebook, because otherwise it doesn't really exist...right? Kind of like that tree in the forest that falls when no one is around.
The other day I had a moment that makes me want to check into facebook rehab, if there is such a thing.  I must say this is a bit embarrassing to admit but I was arguing with people about Santa.  Really? Santa!? 
Yes! Sad, but true. I felt compelled to prove people wrong about their views on Santa.  And I realized that facebook is no longer a place that lets me connect to other people when I am stuck at home with two kids.  It's a place where people go to be right, to be seen, to exist.  It's an escape from reality and from life. As a good friend said, it's the Matrix.  I'm not really interacting with people, I'm interacting with online personas who use the courage of the monitor screen.  There have been way too many times when something a friend posted has made me upset, because they sound like a condescending jerk.  Way too many times that I have been jealous of the things others have or of their successes. Way too many times that I wished someone a Happy Holiday or Happy Birthday through a screen, rather then sending a card or making a call. So while facebook connects millions of people, it has really left me disconnected from my fellow humans and life in general. And that is why I have decided to go back to life and back to reality!  Back to making time to see my friends, who I adore in real life but not so much on facebook.  Back to making real friends and human connections, shaking hands and giving hugs. Seeing actual smiles not smiley faces.  Sure it will be hard, mostly because I am unable to delete my facebook page as it is connected to my business page, but I have already started making steps and changes, like hiding everyone from my feed and even setting up a different page with no friends.  And as much as I think that I would like to go on once in a while to SEE what people are up to, I have to realize that if I am on their important list, they will CALL!  So here we go,  goodby Matrix and hello LIFE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment